Monday, February 4, 2008

How I Met My Valentine

I have never been one that is big on Valentine's Day. To me this holiday has become so commercialized that it has taken the romance out of it. During my single days I remember watching all the couples sending/receiving flowers and wishing that I would receive a nice surprise from a secret admirer or something. Well, it never happened!

In October of 1997, I had just ended a short but rocky relationship. I was not ready for any type of commitment or long-term relationship. I received a call from a young man that was interested in meeting me and going out for dinner. I agreed but told him it would have to wait about a week because I was going out of town to visit my grandmother. I was completely shocked when he had no problem with it. Most men would say, "Now or never!"

Well, that week passed and we went out to eat together on what we now consider our first "date". We got to know each other and became really good friends. I remember at first thinking he was not my type but he was very sweet. Well, I can now tell you the exact moment I fell in love with him. We fell in love and married a year later, in October of 1998. We have now been married 9 years and have 2 beautiful children.

Oh, and Valentine's Day is still not a big issue in our home. He can pick me a flower off the side of the road or make me a card. To me it's the thought that counts, not the amount you spend!

No comments: