Thursday, June 19, 2008

Autism evaluation

We finally got an autism evaluation last week for Alex with the Carolina Autism Resource & Evaluation Center. We have tried to get this evaluation before but couldn't get our schedules to work out.

A little background:

Alex was diagnosed with ADHD in Dec. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome in Jan. 2006 and LD in May 2006. I have known something was "different" with Alex since about 3 months before his 3rd birthday but never thought it could be Asperger's. I have done LOTS of research and just didn't feel this diagnosis (that we received from 2 different doctors) was accurate. I finally found out who to contact and was referred by the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs to the CARE Center.

The evaluation team consisted of 3 very knowledgeable and caring professionals. They were wonderful with Alex. We all felt very comfortable there. When we left with the diagnosis of Autism I had mixed emotions. I was sad because nobody wants to hear that their child has a disability. I was relieved because we finally had some answers and I knew my motherly instincts were correct.

Anyway, all of this to say that we are now on the next leg of our journey with autism. We are now in search of a new developmental pediatrician (didn't care for the one we went to before). Thanks for reading about our journey. :)

No comments: